Medication for Constipation
• Bulk-forming laxatives are fiber supplements and include Metamucil, Fiberall, Citrucel, Konsyl, and Serutan which have to be taken with water so that they do not cause obstruction.
• Stimulants aid in increasing muscle contractions in the intestines to facilitate bowel movement. Correctol, Dulcolax, Purge, and Senokot are common examples of stimulants.
• Osmotics cause a special fluid flow movement in the colon through osmosis. Cephulac, Sorbitol, and Miralax are osmotics.
• Colace and Surfak are examples of stool-softeners which help in moistening the stool and preventing dehydration.
• Lubricants are used to grease the colon column to facilitate easier bowel movement. Fleet and Zymenol perform this function while mineral oil is a natural lubricant that can be used in place of drugs.
• Milk of Magnesia and Haley’s M-O are saline laxatives because they replicate a sponge used to increase the moisture content of the colon.
• Amitiza is a chloride channel activator that increases the intestinal fluid content of the body.